apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testdso.c
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:41:58 GMT
brane@xbc.nu wrote:

> So, what you're proposing is that APR provide mechanisms for people to write
> platform-specific code?

APR already does that.

 > That's in direct conflict with our mission to provice
> "predictable if not identical" behaviour across platforms.

In conflict with or orthogonal to?

If APR implements feature foo across multiple platforms, it should have
predictable if not identical behavior.

I don't see how that mantra applies to feature tests in the manner
you're implying.

> (It also seems a bit weird, but maybe that's just me... :-)

Maybe its just me, but you make it sound as if this would suddenly offer
the first feature that helps apps in their platform-specific code :)

Beyond platform symbols, which are supported currently in an
inconsistent and clumsy manner (look at apr-config --cppflags on a few
different boxes), APR defines other types of symbols that help
applications do non-portable things in a somewhat cleaner manner than is
often done without APR.  Much of the APR_HAVE_foo stuff has nothing to
do with the APR API feature set.  But APR has figured that stuff out and
is able to represent it, and it simplifies some tasks for interesting
APR applications, so why not?  Are you planning to rip out everything in
APR that is outside of or orthogonal to the "predictable if not
identical behavior" goal?