apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testdso.c
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:36:37 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> #define APR_DSO_DEFAULT_EXT ".so"
> #define APR_DSO_DEFAULT_EXT ".sl"
> #define APR_DSO_DEFAULT_EXT ".dll"
> #define APR_DSO_DEFAULT_EXT ".dylib"
>
> is the sort of thing we should be supporting.  No need for in-depth-knowledge
> here.

I don't see anybody claiming that the right solution for that problem is
for APR to tell apps what the platform is.  This discussion started with
my aggravation about the subtlety in checking for HP-UX.

>  We should *never* export flags like APR_PLATFORM_IS_WIZBANG.
> That is a category, and there are plenty of *well defined* ways to determine
> the platform (e.g. WIN32, HPUX or HPUX11, etc...)

Perhaps "clunky" or "error-prone" or "inconsistent" is more appropriate
than "well defined."  A google search for a page with several of the
compiler-defined symbols turned up only our sendrecv.c.

APR already defines platform symbols.  It just doesn't do it for every
platform and it doesn't namespace-protect the symbols.  Either they
should be ripped out or they should be straightened out for APR 1.0.