apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject troubles dealing with APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES=0
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 05:38:52 GMT
I'm trying to figure out why do I get APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES set to zero on my
linux box. I can't find any rules that makes that decision. From reading
archives, I understood, that it's simply unconditionally turned off.
The most recent thread on this topic seems to be:

we have a problem with mod_perl 2.0, when perl compiled with uselargefiles
support (which is probably 99% of builds) used with Apache 2. The two are
binary incompatible.

So far we were using the lowest common denominator flags, simply ripping off
the '-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64' flags and refusing apr_seek()
if offset is not zero (fun!). Now we have a bigger trouble, perlio layer calls
the apr_seek wrapper with off_t=8, and the wrapper compiled with off_t=4. We
obviously get wrong arguments ('whence' gets corrupted), because of the binary
incompatibility.

Any ideas, how to deal with this problem? (Other than telling all users to
rebuild their perl without largefile support, which is impractical, because
people need it.)

Thanks.