Hi,

I am having a bit of a problem getting apr-iconv v0.9.2 to build on RH Linux 7.3 and Mac OS X 10.2. Is this package required to build apr-util?

The config file on Linux seems to be able to find the native iconv, so I suspect it isn't required there, but no equivalent is found on Mac OS X.

The problem seems to be that the apr-iconv configure script is expecting libtool 1.3 (looking for ltconfig) but these platforms use libtool and glibtool 1.4.2, which does not have ltconfig. Since this seems to be an obvious problem, I can only assume that I am doing something stupidly wrong trying to build APR. Can somebody verify that these are the correct steps:

cd apr
./configure
make
make install
cd ../apr-iconv
./configure
make
make install
cd ../apr-util
./configure --with-apr=/usr/local/apr
make
make install

And here are the final few lines of output from running configure in apr-iconv on Mac OS X:

checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin6.4 dyld
creating libtool
/Users/igough/src/revgen/xGrid/apr/build/ltconfig: /Users/igough/src/revgen/xGrid/apr/build/ltconfig: No such file or directory
./configure: /Users/igough/src/revgen/xGrid/apr/APRVARS: No such file or directory