apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: HEAD and releases
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:22:22 GMT
At 04:58 PM 4/15/2003, Joe Orton wrote:
>Has 0.9.3 actually been released? I see the tag, but can't find tarballs
>for it.  Is it just waiting for someone to make tarballs?

Sure, drop 'em in!  The more hands the merrier (offers /me who has had
about 5 spare cycles/hour just for recharging batteries since 2.0.45 hit.)

>Recently APR HEAD has been trying to keep backwards compatibility with
>0.9.2, with the proviso that this will be dropped "for 1.0".  It would
>seem sensible to allow HEAD to drop this compatibility and move towards
>"1.0" ASAP, so all these changes can start getting committed and tested.

Sensible how?

In that we prove we are unable to maintain source/binary compatibility,
leading up to version 1.0 in which we establish our 'contract' with the
users that the API won't change?

>An APR "stable" branch will thus be needed which can be followed by the
>httpd-2.0 stable branch; this could be called APR_0_9_BRANCH and forked
>off the 0.9.3 tag.  (future 0.9.x releases could be made from here too
>if anyone felt inclined to make them)

Silly.

What future 0.9.x branch are you suggesting, 0.9.3.1.5?

APR 1.0 will be 1.0 - and yes - when we feel ready to 'take the plunge'
and enter into a permanant API contract for the lifespan of APR 1.0, then
by all means we split off APR_0_9_BRANCH and go.

In the meantime; there should really be absolutely zero change other than
ripping the /* deprecated */ sections and flipping a couple of _ex() style APIs
that were short term kludges.

IOW, are we ready for 1.0?  By my reading of STATUS, we aren't there yet.
If we aren't, this discussion is premature, IMHO.

I've always encouraged that we should start wrapping all /* @deprecated */
things in some sort of

#ifndef APR_1_0_PROTOTYPE

#endif

and I would love to see us adopt that for very straightforward compatibility
testing against older apps and modules.

Bill