apr-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <...@manyfish.co.uk>
Subject Re: HEAD and releases
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:06:44 GMT
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:22:22PM -0500, William Rowe wrote:
> At 04:58 PM 4/15/2003, Joe Orton wrote:
> >An APR "stable" branch will thus be needed which can be followed by the
> >httpd-2.0 stable branch; this could be called APR_0_9_BRANCH and forked
> >off the 0.9.3 tag.  (future 0.9.x releases could be made from here too
> >if anyone felt inclined to make them)
>
> Silly.
>
> What future 0.9.x branch are you suggesting, 0.9.3.1.5?
>
> APR 1.0 will be 1.0 - and yes - when we feel ready to 'take the plunge'
> and enter into a permanant API contract for the lifespan of APR 1.0, then
> by all means we split off APR_0_9_BRANCH and go.
>
> In the meantime; there should really be absolutely zero change other than
> ripping the /* deprecated */ sections and flipping a couple of _ex() style APIs
> that were short term kludges.
>
> IOW, are we ready for 1.0?  By my reading of STATUS, we aren't there yet.

That's the point I was trying to make - I think that whilst HEAD is
constrained to being 0.9.2-compatible-ish, the changes required to make
the API "1.0-worthy" can't be committed.  Or they are committed but #if
0'ed out, so they don't get compiled, used or tested; to me a
prerequisite for a "1.0-worthy" API would be that it has been compiled,
used and tested for a reasonable period of time.

I don't understand how APR will ever become 1.0-worthy if HEAD remains
indefinitely constrained to being 0.9.2-compatible.

joe