apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Collins-Sussman <suss...@collab.net>
Subject Re: apr 0.9.2 release?
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 02:42:45 GMT
Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 05:56:13PM -0800, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > Subversion's latest releases are all tested against the apr/apr-util
> > included in the httpd-2.0.44 release.  Maybe you could checkout the
> > 2.0.44 tag of apr/apr-util, and build the port around that?
>
> Well the way that ports work, subversion is dependent on the released
> version of APR.  Checking out things from CVS is not how things work.
> Part of the port process entails downloading
> the tgz package from the distribution source and building it.
> I could make the port work off of a snapshot of APR (which is what
> Garrett Rooney had set up before), but APR snapshots have a shelf
> life which is too short, unless a file is placed in the unreleased
> directory and stays around for a while.

I'm suggesting that *you* make a snapshot:

  - unpack the httpd-2.0.44 tarball

  - yank the apr and apr-util libraries out it

  - re-tar them yourself, call them 'apr-0.9.2-prerelease.tar.gz' or
    something.

  - post them somewhere, either on apr.apache.org, svn.collab.net, or
    on a private server.

  - base your FreeBSD apr ports on those tarballs.

  - base your FreeBSD subversion port on the FreeBSD apr port.

I mean, if the apr-snapshot within httpd-2.0.44 is good enough for
Subversion releases, it should be good enough for you Subversion
port.  :-)