apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Collins-Sussman <suss...@collab.net>
Subject Re: apr 0.9.2 release?
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2003 03:05:15 GMT
Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:42:45PM -0800, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> >   - unpack the httpd-2.0.44 tarball
> >
> >   - yank the apr and apr-util libraries out it
>
> What's the advantage of doing that versus just using
> one of the apr snapshots on http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/apr/

Because those aren't around for more than a few days.  They're just
nightly snapshots.  You want to standardize on *one* tree, not some
random nightly snapshot.

> What is functionally different between the apr version in httpd-2.0.44
> and the apr snapshots?

APR is changing every day.  People commit and remove stuff all the
time.  APIs change.  Bugs are fixed, bugs are introduced.

It's not that the apr in httpd-2.0.44 is "better" than HEAD, it's
simply the fact that it's *well tested*.  Obviously httpd tested
against that snapshot, and so did the Subversion team.

> I don't want to become a distributor of apr, so would rather have those
> tarballs hosted on the existing apache.org server.  There already is a
> mechanism for keeping around longer lived apr snapshots
> ( http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/not-released ), why not just use that?

If the apr folks allow it, sure.  Maybe they'd be nice enough to post
the 2.0.44 snapshot of apr there.

If not, I'm pretty sure we can post it on svn.collab.net.