apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/worker pod.c
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:51:26 GMT
At 01:09 PM 3/21/2003, Jeff Trawick wrote:

>I'm a bit nervous about the existing/new special handling for descriptors 0-2.

Are you looking at my original or new patch?

I won't disagree, if you want apr_file_dup() to always return an uninherited
handle, that isn't a problem.  Just look in the which_dup == 1 logic of my
patch and change that block to always untoggle APR_INHERIT (and we
should also untoggle APR_FILE_NOCLOSE for apr_file_dup() results,
now that I think about it.)

>Why isn't the problem this:
>
>Apache opened stderr from the wrong pool, or failed to open it again when the original
pool for stderr was cleaned up; in other words, it was cleaned up because of a pool lifetime
problem in the application, not because 0-2 inherently need to be handled in a different special
way

Because we agreed that the API would support APR_FILE_NOCLOSE and
that is how apr_file_stderr_open() works.

>(and maybe in addition: Apache should be able to tell apr_proc_detach() to leave stderr
alone if it wants fd 2 to be unchanged across the detach)

Hmmm.  Interesting point, but I think that if we just respect the values
for APR_FILE_NOCLOSE and APR_INHERIT - as my most recent patch
suggests, that this problem should simply go away.

Bill