apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Patch] redux; discussion of FD_CLOEXEC and APR_INHERIT
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:37:16 GMT
At 04:03 AM 3/18/2003, Joe Orton wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:59:42PM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
>> If Brad or Brian are available - I will need your eyes on the Unix
>> patches - and I don't want to go weeks before we release 0.9.2.
>> If we can address these issues on those platforms by Wed that
>> would be *really* terrific!
>
>So why not release 0.9.2 yesterday and add this in afterwards? This is a
>pretty significant change in behaviour.

Because the existing code is a security risk to some applications, and
the security team has reinforced that the ASF shouldn't be dropping
code that has known issues.  See Bjoern's earlier posts for additional,
very valid arguments.

I'm offering to help with OS2/Netware - but the extra eyes are necessary
(as your list of issues pointed out - I'm adopting all of the changes and
will point out some confusion in a bit.)

Regarding confusion though - we call that 'other cleanup' our child cleanup.
The fact that we call fork()ed worker processes for httpd 'children' is where
my original confusion stemmed from.  That's where your confusion about
Win32 'children' came from.  Win32 has 'child' workers, Unix has fork()ed
workers.  I don't know what we can do to eliminate that confusion in the
future for httpd/apr developers - but we aught to do something :-)

Look, some people think 0.9.2 is just the next toy for developers, but
as some RPMers have pointed out - this will be in releases of their
next builds and bundles.  Since this seems to be the last major
obstacle for httpd and svn users - let's fix it, saving other less
significant nits for the next release.

httpd 2.0.45 will be released on APR's tag!  I think that is a milestone
but I'd have to go back and look.  I suggest that is progress for our
little effort here, and worth this extra little effort.

Bill