apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR and Apache Time Format Questions
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:21:27 GMT
You can't accomplish your patch and maintain binary compatibility
between different 'flavor builds' of APR.  Plus the number of bugs that
would occur would be a huge pain.

This has been debated many times on list, please query the archives
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apr-dev>

Different proposals have included using tm structures; going back to
seconds (not apr_time_t) for those functions that clearly only benefit
from 1sec resolution; and even binary microsecond resolution.  There
really hasn't been one definitive agreement, claims that "httpd only
benefits from 1sec resolution" are balanced against "most platforms
support sub-sec resolution for file times and other values, either 1ms,
1us, and sometimes even sub-1us values like NT's 100ns units".

It's a very uneasy consensus and one that is not very stable.  But any
arguments to change the definition of "apr_time_t" are likely to fall on
deaf ears - if you care to propose another type-name to represent
whatever it is you are inventing - the list would be much more receptive.
Many bugs were cause by changing the time definition, more bugs
will inevitably be introduced by changing it yet again.  A different type
would help developers identify their mistakes, a type that doesn't
auto-resolve to an int would help even more :-)

Oh - this discussion belongs on apr@ ... discussing changing the
definition of time within httpd belongs on httpd@.

Bill