apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Problem with other_child changes...
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:01:02 GMT
Actually we made the mistake of going that way a long time ago.

The problem is that if you compile against one APR with the symbols,
and decide (in order to work around some bug) to plug in another APR
that doesn't export those symbols, you app no longer benefits from
binary compatibility.

So the define tells us that they should/should not work at the time
your application was built.  Use that if you like.  The stubs will let
your app know that otherchild isn't supported by the installed binary,
which isn't necessarily the APR we built against.

Remember that APR will one day (soon? hopefully?) be it's own beast
installed for everyone's use.  That means we shouldn't have too many
behavior changes based on #define symbols, but rather based on what
APR's runtime reports back to us from quering the API or version.

Bill