apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Lewallen <jlewa...@cs.ucr.edu>
Subject Socket timeouts and APR_SO_NONBLOCK?
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:22:39 GMT
    Hey there gang. I'm using the apr_socket_timeout_set() call to set a
timeout on a socket. Then I establish my connection and turn off the
timeout by calling the same function with an interval of -1. Now this
works great and I love it since it saves me from all the other headaches
involved with setting timeouts on calls to connect. Now, APR makes the
socket non blocking in order to do this, which is fine and makes sense.
Now when I turn off the timeout, it fails to clear the flag from the
socket's file descriptor because the code never sets the APR_SO_NONBLOCK
flag in the APR socket's netmask. For example, the problem never occurs
if I set the socket to non blocking myself via a call to
apr_socket_set_opt and then set my timeout, because now when I turn off
the timeouts, it sees that APR_SO_NONBLOCK is set and turns it off. It
seems to me that apr_socket_timeout_set should set the APR_SO_NONBLOCK
also, since it is making the socket nonblocking. . .  I've included a
patch that does this although I'm not sure this is how the majority
would prefer I do it, just the easiest way (ahem, 2 lines) and solves my
problem.

Does this make sense? Is this the intended behavior?

jacob lewallen
jlewalle@cs.ucr.edu