apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 0.9.2-rc1 outstanding issues and win32 debug symbols
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:33:20 GMT
At 06:26 PM 2/19/2003, Allan Edwards wrote:
>>>I think having the .dbg symbols should be quite enough for a normal
>>>httpd installation, so I think fixing the timestamp problem isn't that
>>>important for 0.9.2/2.0.45.
>
>As I said to Bill in another note, the timestamp difference does not
>seem to cause any problems for me. Using windbg to examine a user.dmp I can
>point it to the pdb files & source tree, and display the stack trace and
>variables with no problem.

Right, it's not the timestamp.  I suspect the internal stamp and '.dbg' notation
that my rebase is adding to the binaries (if you look from within depends.exe,
you will see Apache/APR binaries tagged as .dbg symbols, an artifact of
the rebase -x operation.)  I'm seeing the 'M' status code for mismatches
within WinDbg itself, using the list modules command.

>>One point I meant to make... can we make the .dbg simplified symbols
>>-p(rivate) such that they are even smaller?  With the full blown .pdb's
>>available to all who are interested, I don't see that as a shortcoming.
>+1
>
>>>If we can really do without the map files
>>>once the .dbg's are available, then I see nothing wrong with killing them.
>+1

Since Brane already spoke up, I'll do these two changes in the morning.
No, the pdb/dbg issue isn't holding up this release, we can all manage
just fine with a few stumbling blocks.  I'm the only one who held on to the
.map files, and while they me helped several times narrow down a segv,
I never once got a request for the .map's corresponding to a release.

Bill