apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: new filepath API for search paths
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:59:23 GMT
At 03:22 PM 2/5/2003, Branko Čibej wrote:
>This is where it stops working. On Windows, at least on NT-class
>systems, you really do want to use the wide char functions to read the
>environment and convert the result to UTF-8, otherwise we're not safe in
>the presence of characters that can't be represented in the current
>locale. I don't want to lose that capability, after all the trouble we
>(you?) went to in the other I/O functions.

Look at what we are doing in apr_app_initialize ... actually yes - the
environment is utf8'ed from the 'pure' Unicode command line and
environment table.

However ... if you are using it as a library that doesn't build for APR,
you are right, we can't really do this.  I don't have any objection to
an apr_env_get/_set() api (especially since setenv doesn't exactly
do what users expect on win32.)

Let's tackle the one, then the apr_env api :-)

Bill