apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: The Release Candidate version number?
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:32:37 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Thursday, February 27, 2003 12:11 PM +1100 Stas Bekman
> <stas@stason.org> wrote:
>
>> Assuming that my patch to handle the segfault in apr_uri_unparse
>> goes in before the next -gold release, how am I supposed to handle
>> the older apr (since modperl has to support older apr as well).
>> Currently it seems that I have to do the following:
>>
>> # if APR_MINOR_VERSION == 9 &&
>> (APR_PATCH_VERSION < 2 || APR_PATCH_VERSION == 2 &&
>> APR_IS_DEV_VERSION)      /* apr < 0.9.3 segfaults if hostname is
>> set, but scheme is not */      if (uptr->hostname && !uptr->scheme)
>> {
>>          uptr->scheme = "http";
>>      }
>> # endif
>>
>> that's a way too messed up.
>

> So say you.  That's the price you pay for backwards compatbility.  If
> *you* want to be backwards-compatible, *you* have to do this check. If
> you don't like the preprocessor, you can code it up via apr_version and
> do it at run-time.
>
> About the only thing we could do to moderately help out is to add:
> APR_VERSION_AT_LEAST(major, minor, patch, final).  That would sort of
> hide it a bit.  But, that's not going to help you since you'd have to
> compile against an APR that doesn't have it.  =)
>
> I don't see why we have to go to 0.9.3 because you don't want to do the
> check properly.  The point is that there is a way of determining if you
> are at 0.9.2-dev versus 0.9.2.  -- justin

Bill's proposal was to move to a different (better?) versioning scheme, so I
could just say:

#if APR_MINOR_VERSION == 9 && APR_PATCH_VERSION < 3

and this will work for all older apr's as well. I've followed up on Bill's
proposal showing an example of why it'd be a good change from the user's point
of view.

If the proposal is not accepted, I will use whatever API is available.