apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Proposal: new filepath API for search paths
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:46:16 GMT
Branko Čibej wrote:

>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>

>>Let's drop the 'env' concept - this is really useful overall.
>>
>>And please be careful to strip quotes from around elements, and add
>>quotes (or on unix, backslash escape) the seperator element (e.g. colon
>>or semicolon.)
>>

>Sure. I think we already have code that can do that, so I might want to
>do a bit of refactoring.

It strikes me that we do _not_ want to fiddle with quotes and excaping
here. Neither Unix nor Windows paths need quotes or backslash escapes.
As for APR functions, apr_file_open and friends don't need them; only
apr_proc_create does (because the shell might be involved), and the
Win32 version _adds_ quotes around the program mane if it contains
spaces. The Unix version doesn't do that, but I suspect that's a bug in
apr_proc_create.

I've never seen any quotes in PATH on Windows, nor any escapes on Unix,
nor can I find any docs mandating such. As for the ...list_merge
function, I think it's the caller's responsibility to pass in paths that
are suitalbe for apr_file_open.

--
Brane Čibej   <brane@xbc.nu>   http://www.xbc.nu/brane/