apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: apr_lstat() fails on linux for large files
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 01:32:49 GMT
[ Moving to dev@apr ]

--On Friday, February 28, 2003 4:37 PM -0500 Jeff Trawick
<trawick@attglobal.net> wrote:

>> > (a) Why doesn't Apache automatically include largefile support?
>> > Performance reasons?  Shouldn't there at least be an easy ./configure
>> > option to turn it on?
> isn't there also the problem that sendfile will be broken on many Linux
> boxes?

Yes, Sascha and I had a thread a few weeks ago about this.  It seems that
brand new glibc's (2.3+) allow for sendfile() and largefiles.  But, anything
not bleeding edge new will cause a compilation fault if we enable largefiles
and use sendfile.

I believe Sascha posted some proof-of-concept code that demonstrated turning
this on at run-time via dlsym tricks.  (Not sure I'd like doing dlsym tricks
to solve this, but that's me.)

Linux was the reason I never checked in my largefiles patch - I believe there
is an entry in STATUS for this.

> something we can fix for APR 1.0/Apache 2.1-dev by making apr_off_t always
> 64 bits whether native apr_off_t is 64 bits or not?

Perhaps that might not be a bad idea, but it would make off_t usage that much
worse on 32-bit processors and we'd have to downcast apr_off_t to any system
calls.  So, I'd be cautious about doing this.  -- justin