apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Opening a named pipe problem
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:53:00 GMT
--On Tuesday, February 18, 2003 1:21 PM +0100 Damir Dezeljin
<programing@mbss.org> wrote:

> I created a named pipe file on the FS by using
> apr_file_namedpipe_create(
>     "fileName",
>     APR_UREAD | APR_UWRITE,
>     pool_p);

Hmm, that's funny.  I thought APR didn't have named pipe support.  I
guess it's been there for a while.  It isn't portable, nor is it used
anywhere.

OS/2's implementation says it all:

APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_file_namedpipe_create(const char
*filename, apr_fileperms_t perm, apr_pool_t *pool)
{
    /* Not yet implemented, interface not suitable */
    return APR_ENOTIMPL;
}

ISTR, Ryan and OtherBill saying that named pipes could never be
implemented portably.  We should probably yank this, or fix the
interface so it can be implemented.  (I'll tend towards yank.)  --
justin