apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: Apache, UDP and lingering_close
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 00:53:58 GMT
On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 23:20, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
> > I've been working on mod_udp for the last week or so and got everything
> > working in a modular way. It basically works fine.
>
> Just one quick comment regarding the udp patches before I forget...
>
> One of the patches modified socket buckets to add a conditional into
> socket_bucket_read() to call apr_socket_recvfrom() instead of
> apr_socket_read() depending on the type of the socket.  I get the strong
> feeling that we shouldn't try to mix UDP and TCP sockets into the same
> bucket type.

I partially shared that same feeling.

> The existing socket buckets should remain TCP only.  UDP
> socket buckets can either be a separate entity in apr-util or mod_udp for
> Apache can provide them as a 3rd-party bucket type.

I can see how I could go and add a new bucket type to apr-util.  But if
I wanted to add datagram-buckets to mod_udp or apache itself, I am not
sure how to get around doing that. Any pointers on this ?

> But in general, if
> you have to use a totally separate API out of APR to read from them, they
> should be a separate bucket type IMO.

I can now understand the reason for this.

Ideally, I would initially package datagram-buckets with mod_udp itself.
Just gotta figure out how to create my own bucket type.

Once again, pointers on how to make that work are welcome...

Thanks for the feedback!

> --Cliff

Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5
(122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107
88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.
perl
-e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'