apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Altogether Broken OtherChild logic
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:51:58 GMT
At 02:03 PM 1/30/2003, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>wrowe wrote:
>
>>> Finally, it looks like apr_proc_other_child_read is the function we
>>> *really* wanted
>>> to use within the health check.  But it seems all of these
>>> apr_proc_other_child
>>> functions are really misdocumented within APR.  Would someone step up and
>>> spell out exactly what they are *supposed* to be doing within unix,
>>> and then we
>>> can discuss how to make them portable to Win32?
>

>apr_proc_other_child_read() is called when the monitor (e.g., MPM) knows that a process
has died; it passes the apr_proc_t describing the dead process to apr_proc_other_child_read(),
and if that dead process was a registered "other child", then the maintenance function for
that other child is called with APR_OC_REASON_DEATH

Good, we agree on what this function is doing.

>sounds pretty hokey to me; maybe apr_proc_wait() could call the maintenance function automatically
if a newly-deceased process was registered as "other child"

I'm simply thinking of renaming it apr_proc_other_child_died() and documenting
it correctly.  Step two is determining how I can then identify and report that
case in the WinNT MPM, or automagically as a callback.

The struggle is aprizing the discrepancies between winNT and the other
mpm_run loops, given that Win32 doesn't have signals.  But I'm working
on that, too.

Bill