apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: arch specific include files, the naming thereof
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:32:55 GMT
At 05:45 AM 1/6/2003, Thom May wrote:
>* Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org) wrote :
>> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 11:59:50PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>> > My argument against using "apr_*.h" would be twofold.
>>
>> Fair enough... both points make sense.
>
>Ok, so this looks like a rough consensus on apr_private_*.h, right?

I would personally prefer we stick with apr_arch_*.h ... that's a nifty idea
and not to far from Greg's preference for apr_priv_*.h to keep it short
and sweet.  Either is my preference, apr_private_*.h seems too wordy
when you end up with names like apr_private_thread_mutex.h

>What's the best way to rename the files? cvs rm and add them again with new
>names, or move the RCS files directly (something i've never tried and have
>no great desire to do on a live server without someone going "yeah, that
>works" ;-) )?

If we want to keep the history, you can cp the ,v files with some caviats;

1) Start with cp apr_foo.h apr_arch_foo.h
2) cvs rm apr_foo.h
3) cvs tag -d tag apr_arch_foo.h

There is one problem, apr_arch_foo.h files will be checked out along with
apr_foo.h if you go by old checkouts by date.  That isn't a huge problem
when you consider that they are just unreferenced files (the #includes for
that date tag will be looking for apr_foo.h.)  Also consider that they reside
in their arch/ tree and aren't installed when one builds apr.

I'd say that problem is minimal, and preserving the history in an easy
to follow manner is far more important.

Bill