apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Showstopper ... was: Tagged the tree
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:16:23 GMT
--On Thursday, January 9, 2003 2:20 PM -0500 Jeff Trawick
<trawick@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Silly me.  I thought that Apache 2.0 would use APR 0.9.x and Apache
> >= 2.1 would switch to APR 1.0.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where we realized that this would
be impracticable.  If httpd 2.0 only used APR 0.9.1-dev (say), then a
lot of applications want to be compatible with httpd 2.0 (say
modules).  Therefore, they want a stable APR release that works with
httpd 2.0 above all else.  If we abandon APR 0.9.1 and move to 1.0,
then we're abandoning them.

Therefore, what we have right now must be APR 1.0.  Any changes going
forward *must* be APR 2.0 only.  We can't drop deprecated functions
in APR 1.0 nor can we alter function signatures in APR 1.0 from what
we have right now.

We've already started 2.0, but we just haven't admitted it.  -- justin