apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache release compatibility
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 00:30:16 GMT
On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:56:52PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Friday, January 03, 2003 13:52:12 -0800 Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
> wrote:
> > If I can find the time, then I'd like to do a formal release of 0.9.2 of
> > apr(-util). That will certainly help us out a good bit.
>
> apr-util needs to be able to build without having apr in ../apr.  That's
> the showstopper, IMHO.

Is that new from 0.9.1? If not, then 0.9.2 can go out the door, too.

And is that requirement *just* for buildconf, or the actual build, too?

> > Hmm? Are we saying that the APR API is "part of" the httpd API, so httpd
> > won't upgrade to an APR that is missing functions?
>
> Yes.  Any changes to APR that break binary compatibility can't be included
> in any stable release of httpd-2.0 because a module could have used that
> function.  People have been very adamant about that requirement.  -- justin

Bah. APR should be able to go its own way. If httpd wants to stick with
0.9.9, then they can. And if we want to branch the pre-1.0 stuff to continue
fixes for httpd, then fine. But APR 1.0 should drop the deprecated
functions. APR cannot and should not be held hostage to httpd's
requirements.

Cheers,
-g

--