apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache release compatibility
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 21:52:12 GMT
On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:41:14PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Friday, January 03, 2003 14:15:27 -0600 Karl Fogel
> <kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net> wrote:
> > Is there a place where dev snapshots of Apache HEAD are released, so
> > we can point to that instead?
> Six hour CVS snapshots are at: http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/apr/

Unfortuantely, they disappear, so we can't refer to specific snapshots. We
can certainly point people at them, however.

> But, the changes here isn't in httpd HEAD, but apr HEAD.  I believe the
> current plan is to include apr/apr-util HEAD with all stable httpd (i.e.
> 2.0.x) releases.  Sander is the current .44 httpd RM, so he has final say.

If I can find the time, then I'd like to do a formal release of 0.9.2 of
apr(-util). That will certainly help us out a good bit.

> Note that stable httpd will not be able to use APR 1.0 though - because the
> current plan is that we're going to drop all deprecated functions at that
> branch point - httpd 2.0.x will be fixed at the moment right before APR 1.0
> is released.

Seems that we could fix httpd today, no? Delete all deprecated functions (in
the working copy) and see what breaks in httpd?

> That's going to be interesting from the Subversion perspective though.  We
> may be forced *not* to use APR 1.0 because httpd-2.0 won't work with it.
> It's fun, isn't it?  Perhaps we'll relax this policy and not drop
> deprecated functions until APR 2.0, but that's an awful lot of cruft to
> keep around for a long time.  -- justin

Hmm? Are we saying that the APR API is "part of" the httpd API, so httpd
won't upgrade to an APR that is missing functions?

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message