apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testfile.c
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 20:44:06 GMT
--On Thursday, January 02, 2003 11:34:50 -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
<wrowe@apache.org> wrote:

> Apparently this mental exercise didn't have the effects I had hoped.
> Jeff's patch is correct; it isn't APR's job to determine if one can 'open'
> a directory as a file.  Opening a directory as a file isn't portable, no,
> but we can't "help" the programmer on every possible portability issue.

To chime in here, if you call apr_file_open() on a directory, I have no
problem with that being ambiguous/ill-defined.  We should just state that
in the docs though.

Adding a feature macro doesn't make sense to me since I can't even fathom
what you would do with a file-handle representing a directory.  About the
only thing I could think of would be tweak permissions/ACLs, but those are
something we've always decided to punt on since no one can come up with a
permissions model that can represent Win32/Unix models.  Yet, if we ever
had such a beast, I would expect that we'd also allow char*'s to be passed
in rather than file handles.  -- justin