apr-dev mailing list archives

From cmpil...@collab.net
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:14:02 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> writes:

> > What's the hangup here?  Every Unix I've ever seen, and every Windows
> > version I've ever seen, has a notion of a temporary directory.
>
> Sure - but where it is depends on the unix, wether you are using a
> secure/trusted unix, who you are logged in at, the NFS mounting situation
> du jour. Figuring it out -and- respecting the admin wishes is non trivial.
>
> Often the only reason you want a tmp directory is to create a temp
> file.

(last post of the night...3am...need sleep before i get cranky)

And what if you're looking for a place to put a temporary
sub-directory?  Most of the system tempfile() functions actually open
a file, and return some handle to it (for security reasons I'm sure,
an honorable cause).  tmpnam() looks like it returns a string, but its
own man page flat out says not to use it, but to use mkstemp() instead
(which returns a file handle or descriptor).

Further, what do you do when you want to control the name of your
temporary file?  If you use the functions that allow you to specify a
path template, you must supply the directory as part of that
template.  If you use the functions that don't take a template, well,
you've lost control of your naming.  The only function I've seen that
pleases me so far is the BSD 4.3 function tempname():

       char *tempnam(const char *dir, const char *pfx);

You can specify the prefix, and if you pass NULL for 'dir', the file
is created in the systemwide temporary directory.  That's *perfect*.
But it's not portable.

Hmm...what to do...