apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:26:30 GMT

> Can a single temp directory be discovered by autoconf at build time and
> still apply for binary distributions? (Are there platforms where the
> same binary would work but the default temp dir might change?)

In any serious shop: Your run time system in production is generally !=
build system. And if it is - then I'd worry :-)

The first may be largely read-only disks, have complex NFS interaction and
what not. Whereas the latter may actually have things like a compiler and
normal disk space.

Operational choises, such as where /tmp is - should NEVER be left to
autoconf. Autoconf should only be used for things which are immutable
properties of a specific version/incarnation of the operating system.

Dw