apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TCP_NOPUSH
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:40:53 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, David Reid wrote:

> I'd rather see it documented and the issues looked at on the other
> platforms.
>
> It was added as we originally had TCP_CORK and that is Linux only. We detect
> whether we have TCP_NOPUSH and try to make the usage as general as
> possible - that process should be fixed and improved on :)

The point is that there are only two platforms that _can_ provide this
behavior.  Windows, BeOS, netware, and OS/2 don't have this concept of
holding back data and then allowing it to be sent.  In fact, only FreeBSD
(and it's brethren) and Linux have it in the Unix world.

That means that anybody who uses TCP_NOPUSH in APR isn't going to get the
behavior they expect.  They are going to get something very different.  We
take advantage of TCP_NOPUSH under the covers on platforms that have the
concept, so why are we exposing it????

Ryan