apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:19:17 GMT

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> > Fine, then suggest another method for developers to find a system temp
> > directory so that they can create a valid mask for use in
> > apr_file_mktemp.
>
> If they need more than a tmp file handle with a clear contract; i.e.
> something like pseudo temporarly storage with semantics specific to their
> application; then they'd better create an *application* level config or
> policy for that; with clearly documented requirements (such as max size,
> livetime, mostly read or mostly write permissions, cleanup (or not) on
> exit of the application or reboot, etc).

Great job at ducking the question.  It is really simple.  The application
needs to create a temporary file.  To do so, it would like to find a
directory that houses temporary files so that if something happens, it can
be deleted automatically with a cron job.  So, the developer is going to
use apr_file_mktemp, which will return a file handle.  Now, what template
does the developer pass in to that program to ensure that the file ends up
in the correct directory?  Do we just always use a well known temp
directory if they pass in a relative file?  I sure as hell hope not.

You are asking us to solve a problem but then saying that we can't solve
it completely.  This is a bogus conversation and I am done with it.

Ryan