apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:59:21 GMT

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>
> > I don't like the idea of having environment variables drive things like
> > this. Temp directories are a great way to get programs to write files
> > wherever you want. I'd much rather have a function where the global
> > tempdir can be set and then retrieved later by apr_get_temp_dir(). The
> > nice thing about this is it doesn't incur any processing overhead when
> > apr_get_temp_dir() is called, and can let apps like httpd create their
> > own config directive for setting the preferred tempdir.
>
> Over the years the same discussion has been had in various unix forums -
> and I have a strong feeling that the consensus reached there (or at least
> the working assumption) that the ability to get a 'free to use' directory
> reference was BAD - and that you are better off asking for a temp file
> name; as to avoid clashes and all sorts of other mayem.
>
> What is the reason we MUST have a tempdir getter ? Just because there is
> one on windows ? Is it really not enough to just do tempfile() getting ?
>
> It just feels like an operational rat hole (think for example a secure
> unix)

We already have a tempfile()-like API.  People have asked for a way to get
the file name for a unique file.  We are providing an API that does this.
However, you must have a place to put a temporary file, and each platform
has a different location for such files.  Unless you can think of another
way to get a temp file name without using the systems temp directory, we
have no other option.  Forcing the app programmer to give us a path is a
non-starter, because it means that the temp files will essentially never
be in the correct location.

Ryan