apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:50:04 GMT

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Reid wrote:

> If we don't have such a declare maybe we  should add one? I say this as
> htpasswd.c (in httpd) uses P_tmpdir that isn't portable and breaks the beos
> build. Also Thom found a note in his stdio.h file saying that it wasn't the
> right way to do things, and I agree it's not.
>
> I propose that it would simply take the form of a define
>
> #define APR_TMP_DIRECTORY "/var/tmp"
>
> and can be set by platform.
>
> Thoughts?

Haven't we discussed this before?  I thought we had, and we had decided to
come up with a hierarchy of ways to find the temp directory.  Basically,
just have a function  apr_get_temp_dir(), which tried various options
until it found one that worked.  (Where worked is defined as the directory
exists).

The list of options was something like:

1) P_TMPDIR
2) env variable TEMP
3) env variable TMPDIR
4) env variable TEMPDIR
5) hard-coded /tmp  (guaranteed to work, regardless of whether the dir
exists).

Obviously, platforms that have a well-known temp directory could implement
their own apr_get_temp_dir to just return the correct string, but for
Unix platforms, there are three or four "correct" temp locations based on
platform and how the admin has things setup.

Ryan