apr-dev mailing list archives

From Juan Rivera <Juan.Riv...@citrix.com>
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:36:51 GMT
Along those lines would be the ability to generate a unique temporary file
name. Windows provides that functionality. I think it can be very handy.

Best regards,

Juan C. Rivera
Citrix Systems, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: cmpilato@collab.net [mailto:cmpilato@collab.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 2:31 PM
To: Kevin Pilch-Bisson
Cc: Thom May; APR Dev List

Kevin Pilch-Bisson <kevin@pilch-bisson.net> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:56:38PM +0000, Thom May wrote:
> > * David Reid (dreid@jetnet.co.uk) wrote :
> > > If we don't have such a declare maybe we  should add one? I say this
> > > htpasswd.c (in httpd) uses P_tmpdir that isn't portable and breaks the
> > > build. Also Thom found a note in his stdio.h file saying that it
wasn't the
> > > right way to do things, and I agree it's not.
> > >
> > > I propose that it would simply take the form of a define
> > >
> > > #define APR_TMP_DIRECTORY "/var/tmp"
> > >
> > This sounds good. definable via configure, yes?
> I'm not sure I like this, as windows temp directories depend on where
> system folders live.

I'd suggest doing what Python's tempdir module does, which is to use
runtime checks to find a writable temporary directory, given a list of
default places to check and some OS-specific usual suspects.  I posted
to this list not too long ago a proposal for just such an APR
function.  Subversion needs something like an apr_tmp_dir() -- it's
ridiculous to place that burden on every program in the world.