apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:20:04 GMT

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 10:50  AM, <rbb@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Reid wrote:
>> I propose that it would simply take the form of a define
>>
>> #define APR_TMP_DIRECTORY "/var/tmp"
>
> Haven't we discussed this before?  I thought we had, and we had
> decided to
> come up with a hierarchy of ways to find the temp directory.
> Basically,
> just have a function  apr_get_temp_dir(), which tried various options
> until it found one that worked.  (Where worked is defined as the
> directory
> exists).
>
> The list of options was something like:
>
> 1) P_TMPDIR
> 2) env variable TEMP
> 3) env variable TMPDIR
> 4) env variable TEMPDIR
> 5) hard-coded /tmp  (guaranteed to work, regardless of whether the dir
> exists).
>
> Obviously, platforms that have a well-known temp directory could
> implement
> their own apr_get_temp_dir to just return the correct string, but for
> Unix platforms, there are three or four "correct" temp locations based
> on
> platform and how the admin has things setup.

I don't like the idea of having environment variables drive things like
this.
Temp directories are a great way to get programs to write files
wherever you
want. I'd much rather have a function where the global tempdir can be
set
and then retrieved later by apr_get_temp_dir(). The nice thing about
this
is it doesn't incur any processing overhead when apr_get_temp_dir() is
called,
and can let apps like httpd create their own config directive for
setting the
preferred tempdir.

-aaron