apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:05:02 GMT

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 10:43  AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> As a developer/administrator/user, I *really* get ticked off by those
> developers who don't respect my system-wide %TEMP%/%TMP%
> assignments.  This isn't just a personal choice, since on locked down
> boxes or with apps installed on network filesystems, the cwd() is the
> very *worst* place to put tempfiles.

This is precisely why the app needs to let the admin chose where to
put temp files.

> That said, we also shouldn't force developers to give any thought to
> these things.  If the proposed solution walks down the chain until we
> find the most appropriate directory with create/write/rm access, then
> that code needs not be duplicated by every app.
>
> Yes, envvars are good (as long as they correspond to each platform's
> well-known envvar names.)  Let's not make apr counterintuitive for the
> real users/administrators.

Personally, I really get ticked off when programs go off and do
weird things based on lame environment variables that I didn't
explicitly set. We want to simplify and unify the interface
to our programs, not cause unintended side-effects (or even
worse, open up conduits for other holes to exploit).

I don't care if there's a default as long as it comes from the app.
If the app wants to default to %TEMP% or $TMP or whatever, that's
fine, let them shoot themselves in the foot, but don't hand them
the gun.

-aaron