apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Query about APR's OS Support
Date Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:39:30 GMT
At 10:25 AM 12/24/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, RITESH RAI wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have recently started to use the APR for one of my project, The
>> requirement is that the product has to be compatible on the following OS
>>
>> Win 9x
>> Win 32
>> Unix
>> Linux
>> MAC OS X
>> MAC OS 9
>>
>> The relase of APR source code I downloaded, contains the code for Windows
>> and unix, What i want to know is that does APR has support for MAC OS X and
>> MAC OS 9. If yes how do is get the corresponding source code for the same,
>> and if not is there any plan to have these support in this. Please let me
>> know as this will help me decide to use the APR for my project
>
>Mac OS 9 doesn't currently work, but if anybody wanted to
>try to port APR to Mac OS 9, those patches would be appreciated.  I really
>don't know how hard it would be to port APR to OS 9.

Well, the entire port?  I can't say.

I understand that if I hack the filesystem API into Carbon, it would actually
be OS9/X cross-compatible.  Other APIs would require similar effort.  The
WebTen guys actually offered the OS9 port some time ago, IIRC, but they
were deemed 'too radical' for Apache 1.2/1.3 or whereever we were then.

Obviously APR introduced the possibility of bringing in these sorts of
patches.

I'm more worries about how convoluted it would be to build APR under
the native OS9 environment.

Bill