apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:43:12 GMT
At 11:55 AM 12/5/2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

>My main point here is that it is bad to use environment variables
>for such things, and it's probably bad to have to run something
>every time a temp dir is needed (like check permissions or search
>a list of paths and stat() each one). I'd much rather see the apps
>leave this decisions up to the users, for example, a simple config
>directive in apache.

As a developer/administrator/user, I *really* get ticked off by those
developers who don't respect my system-wide %TEMP%/%TMP%
assignments.  This isn't just a personal choice, since on locked down
boxes or with apps installed on network filesystems, the cwd() is the
very *worst* place to put tempfiles.

That said, we also shouldn't force developers to give any thought to
these things.  If the proposed solution walks down the chain until we
find the most appropriate directory with create/write/rm access, then
that code needs not be duplicated by every app.

Yes, envvars are good (as long as they correspond to each platform's
well-known envvar names.)  Let's not make apr counterintuitive for the
real users/administrators.

Bill