apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: Tests hanging on Windows
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:31:06 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

>I've done more research.  Wow, this is ugly.  Basically, Windows doesn't
>allow you to open anonymous pipes in a non-blocking mode.  That means that
>it is impossible to timeout a pipe read/write.  Now for the good news.
>There are two possible solutions.
>
>1)  Switch to using named pipes for platforms that support them.  This has
>the advantage that we can open the pipe in overlapped mode, but it won't
>work on older versions of Windows (9x, ME specifically).  This also means
>that APR itself will have a need to get a temporary filename, because we
>will need to have a name for the named pipe, but we can essentially forget
>the name of the pipe immediately.

On NT-class systems (NT, 2000, XP), anonymous pipes are implemented on
top of named pipes, using a unique pipe name. So there'd really be no
difference if APR used this approach.

DOS-based Windows don't support named pipes, of course. Maybe it would
be acceptable to return APR_ENOTIMPL if someone tried to open a
non-blocking pipe on Win9x?

--
Brane ─îibej   <brane@xbc.nu>   http://www.xbc.nu/brane/