apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test testatomic.c
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 00:52:33 GMT
--On Sunday, December 29, 2002 4:49 PM -0800 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> Why not just add a couple of apr_sleep calls for a random period of
> time. That should get the threads out of being run in serial,
> shouldn't it?

As I said in my initial message, we tried that before and that
doesn't work.  You have to create enough activity/load then hit the
balancing points at which point the user-space scheduler will
migrate/create new kernel threads only if the activity exceeds some
internal threshold.  We could never quite figure out the right
combination of tactics to get it to work reliably.  (This was even
with reading the relevant Solaris source code.)  -- justin