apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:35:34 GMT
--On Thursday, December 5, 2002 1:28 PM -0800 Aaron Bannert
<aaron@clove.org> wrote:

> are they consistent. Though, all of that is irrelevant because
> allowing environment variables to define program behavior is totally
> bogus [on systems I care about].

Oh, I'm sure you've never set EDITOR, SHELL, or TERM.

Environment variables have always defined program behavior.  If the
program has an override (say TempDir directive for httpd), then cool.
If not, we certainly should use whatever environment variables or
default locations we can find.  As a point of reference, both vim and
emacs use TMPDIR.  Depending upon the platform, they may also use
/tmp or /var/tmp as fallbacks.  -- justin