apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [time to move on I guess] APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:10:20 GMT

On 9 Dec 2002 cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> its utilities, svnlook needs to create two temporary files to be used
> by an external 'diff' process.  Given only handles, we have no paths

But the svnlook lives longer than the diff process ? Or do you -also-
postulate something like a 'crontab' which deletes cruft in case of
accidents ?

> to provide to that 'diff' process.  CVS gets around this by using an
> Now, most of Subversion's operations require a working copy, so we
> make our tempfiles in the .svn/tmp/ directory in those cases.  But we
> across the network, with no working copy (and therefore no guaranteed
> user-writable place to put tempfiles).

Aye - well in that case I would personally would really want to have this
done on application level and under operator control - as the associated
environment (especially if you have thousands of accounts/connections to
worry about) will often require extensive fitting to the maintenance
model. It's a shame Unix, like windows, has no global registry :-)

Dw