apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [time to move on I guess] APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:32:00 GMT

> > You are asking us to solve a problem but then saying that we can't solve
> > it completely.  This is a bogus conversation and I am done with it.
>
> Yep, this whole thread started off real simple and has gotten totally out of
> hand.

That is because the problem/notion of a Temp directory as opposed to a
temp file (handle) is a very complex and hairy one. With lots of
operational ramfications when used by more than one app. And one which
IMHO clashes with the very notion of portability.

> If apr doesn't want to provide this functionality then we shoudl just
> say so

+1 to saying so.

> Rather than trying to answer questions that haven't been asked.

> Anyway, I've had enough of this as well. Sorry to the subversion guys but I
> tried...

I honestly thing that if the Subversion guys make their 'Temp' directory
configurable on application level (and document the use semantics: volume,
xs-permission, mostly read, mostly write, NO socket/shar-mem files or
other aspects) that their application will only benefit from an operations
perspective - and that ultimately they have made a better application than
when they would defer to the bowels of APR to make a guess as what 'temp'
means for them.

Dw