apr-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 12:34:24 GMT

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> You are advocating that we use tempfile() to get a filename.  At what

No; I am advocating to -NOT- (or at least grudgingly) give the naive app
develoepr the means to shoot the poor operations guy in the foot by
providing the developer a function of dubious use; which in 99 out of a
100 cases would be used to create a filename functionality.

Or in other word; not pollute the apr layer with easy access to things
best avoided.

I agree that there -are- applications which need a 'real' temp dir - but
in those cases those temp dirs are likely to see very app specific use.

And therefor they ought to be under direct app control (so you can do the
right NFS, RO-mounting, assign the riqht quota, appropriate xs controls
and what not). Hiding that in APR is IMHO bad.

Dw