apr-dev mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@planetarytramp.net>
Subject Re: APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Sat, 07 Dec 2002 13:12:49 GMT
* Dirk-Willem van Gulik (dirkx@webweaving.org) wrote :

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:
>
> > You are advocating that we use tempfile() to get a filename.  At what
>
> No; I am advocating to -NOT- (or at least grudgingly) give the naive app
> develoepr the means to shoot the poor operations guy in the foot by
> providing the developer a function of dubious use; which in 99 out of a
> 100 cases would be used to create a filename functionality.

How is the *portable* creation of temporary files a "function of dubious
use"? Surely our mandate is portability. I'd argue that functionality like
this should absolutely be in APR.

> And therefor they ought to be under direct app control (so you can do the
> right NFS, RO-mounting, assign the riqht quota, appropriate xs controls
> and what not). Hiding that in APR is IMHO bad.

And what about a cross platform application, that may not need to be under
direct app control but will need to be able to work correctly on Windows and
Unix and whatever else. If an app *needs* specific usage, then let them use
it, but in the common case, why force every app to reinvent the wheel for
something that 100% should be in a portability library?

 Cheers,
 -Thom