apr-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: [time to move on I guess] APR_TMP_DIRECTORY
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:21:58 GMT
> > > Fine, then suggest another method for developers to find a system temp
> > > directory so that they can create a valid mask for use in
> > > apr_file_mktemp.
> >
> > If they need more than a tmp file handle with a clear contract; i.e.
> > something like pseudo temporarly storage with semantics specific to
their
> > application; then they'd better create an *application* level config or
> > policy for that; with clearly documented requirements (such as max size,
> > livetime, mostly read or mostly write permissions, cleanup (or not) on
> > exit of the application or reboot, etc).
>
> Great job at ducking the question.  It is really simple.  The application
> needs to create a temporary file.  To do so, it would like to find a
> directory that houses temporary files so that if something happens, it can
> be deleted automatically with a cron job.  So, the developer is going to
> use apr_file_mktemp, which will return a file handle.  Now, what template
> does the developer pass in to that program to ensure that the file ends up
> in the correct directory?  Do we just always use a well known temp
> directory if they pass in a relative file?  I sure as hell hope not.
>
> You are asking us to solve a problem but then saying that we can't solve
> it completely.  This is a bogus conversation and I am done with it.

Yep, this whole thread started off real simple and has gotten totally out of
hand. If apr doesn't want to provide this functionality then we shoudl just
say so rather than trying to answer questions that haven't been asked.

Anyway, I've had enough of this as well. Sorry to the subversion guys but I
tried...

david