apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Win32 inetd HOWTO?
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:02:50 GMT

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Damir Dezeljin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Is there any way to write my own inetd on Windows using APR.
>
> On UNIX I can construct it as folow:
> - a program bind, listen to a specified port and poll for incoming
> connections
> - when a new connection is made, it closes fd-s 0 (stdin), 1 (stdout) and
> 2 (stderr), accept the connection and dup it two times. In this way fd-s
> 0,1,2  will be the socket of the accepted connection.
> - fork a new process
> - close fd-s 0, 1, 2
>
> In this way like with inetd, the child will have connection to the client
> trough stdin or stdout or stderr.
>
> Is there a way to do something similar on Windows by using APR.
> I found apr_proc_create() and other functions, but I don't know (nor
> understand) how I can pass socket descriptor to the client? The best
> solution will be to pass it as stdin,... but I think that this isn't
> portable, because Windows have diferent socket descriptors.
>
> Any solution?

People have been talking for a while about creating an APR type that
allows you to pass file/socket descriptors between processes.  The
contstruct isn't that hard, and it can be done portably.  However, nobody
has written the code yet.  Without that code, I do not believe that what
you want is possible.

Ryan