apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apr_mmap_t
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:44:38 GMT
--On Saturday, November 23, 2002 7:31 AM -0800 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> Incomplete types are not the solution to binary compatibility.  The
> correct way to solve binary compat is to have developers who
> understand what it means and why it is important.

I'm with Jeff and Will here.  In apr_mmap_t, we're exposing lots of
OS-dependent structures (see all of the #ifdefs).  There is no good
reason for having these structures exposed.  If a program
legitimately needs this information, we should have an
apr_os_mmap_get or something like that.  Don't care much, but
apr_mmap_t as it stands right now should be an incomplete type as it
contains non-portable structure members that is intricately tied to
the implementation.  That's a no-no.  The structure shouldn't be tied
to the implementation.  -- justin