apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject RE: apr_xlate not thread safe
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 18:55:56 GMT
--On Friday, November 8, 2002 10:58 AM -0500 Bill Stoddard
<bill@wstoddard.com> wrote:

>> > This type of bug is going to bite us over and over.
>>
>> Does that mean we make every object threadsafe?  IMHO, No.
>
> Oh, I agree for sure.
>

>> Better that we document which returned apr_foo_t's are threadsafe,
>> which ones are not,
>
> Yep.

Nah.  Subversion was doing something incredibly stupid.  We were
walking up the pools until it found the global_pool and then created
the apr_xlate_t in there and just reused that.  The global_pool has
no guarantee on being thread-safe within the context of httpd.

It has nothing to do with apr_xlate_t.  It has everything to do with
using the global_pool and the false assumption that it was threadsafe.

I don't think it's a big deal that we (in APR) have to worry about,
but that's just me.  -- justin