apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: apr_iconv* API's
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 00:09:13 GMT
Bill,
    I noticed one problem with the xlate functions.  In apr_xlate_open(), if APU_HAS_APR_ICONV,
the function check_sbcs() is called on line #293.  The problem is that the check_sbcs() function
is dependent on the iconv() functions which would only be defined if APU_HAVE_ICONV which
appears to be mutually exclusive.  Therefore if you defined APU_HAS_APR_ICONV and were using
the apr_iconv library, the code would fail to link because the check_sbcs() function is not
defined.

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
http://www.novell.com

>>> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@apache.org> Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:59:13
AM >>>
At 12:51 PM 10/31/2002, you wrote:
>   But shouldn't at least headers and stub functions be included in APR so that platforms
like NetWare can implement the functionality using their own character set conversion APIs?

No, because apr_iconv is a complete library.

You should modify apr_xlate to plug in an alternate library.

Note one bugaboo... our API assures that partial conversion is always
possible.  The native APIs on Win32 (not counting the mlang com level
interface) do not, so Win32 couldn't use it's own.  Hopefully, that's not
true on Netware and you should be able to plug into apr_xlate seamlessly.

Bill