apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: add additional parm for protocol to apr_socket_create() before 1.0?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:27:12 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@apache.org> writes:

> At 06:58 AM 10/16/2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >Mr. Stewart needs to know in order to rework his SCTP patch
> >appropriately.
> >
> >alternative:
> >
> >apr_socket_create_ex() which is an interface that has existing
> >parameters + protocol parameter
>
> +1 ... AND when we go to 1.0, we break the API and introduce
> the argument to apr_socket_create() and drop _ex().
>
> Yes - I know we haven't "Promised" backwards compatibility until
> version 1.0.  But we've proven we can -usually- achieve it.  The only
> API totally horked in the last six months was poll, IIRC.

I'm +1 to this sequence too (though I wasn't unhappy about breaking
the API now).

What I intend to do later today:

. minimally tweak the appropriate portions of Mr. Stewart's patch to
  add apr_socket_create_ex() to APR

. update STATUS to indicate that apr_socket_create_ex() API must be
  deleted and apr_socket_create() API must be changed (new parm)
  before APR hits 1.0

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...